THE 7 BEST OILS FOR BABY MASSAGE - AND HOW TO CHOOSE THEM
Massaging your lil’ ones is a great way to bond with them, nourish their skin, alleviate constipation and colic, soothe them and make them sleep better. It also helps relieve your stress as parents. So, no reason to NOT do it! :)
But how does an oil really help with baby massage?
While using a baby massage oil may be optional, here are 2 key advantages:
1. Friction-less Massages
Oils help lubricate and smoothen the overall process so it does not cause friction. This can considerably lower the chances of your baby’s delicate skin getting irritated due to contact and make the experience better.
2. Nourishes & Protects Skin
Pure oils can help moisturize your baby’s sensitive skin and create a layer of protection. Some oils may even help heal minor inflammations and soothe the skin, keeping it soft, supple and glowing.
Now that you know the benefits of using oils for massages, let’s move on to which oils to use!
There’s another catch before that, though. You might want to keep in mind a few general pointers when choosing a baby massage oil.
So rotate those bottles, look closely and check for these red flags on the back of their packs:
Make sure the oil does not contain harmful toxins like parabens, petroleum, mineral oil, and silicones.
II. SYNTHETIC/STRONG FRAGRANCES
While natural fragrances may not be all that bad, you may want to steer away from strong fragrances like that of Mustard Oil for very young babies. The smell could irritate them. Other than that, synthetic fragrances are a definite no-no, as they can cause allergies, irritation, headaches and nausea.
III. EXTRACTION PROCESS
All that rage about ‘cold-pressed’ and ‘virgin’ oils is justified! Cold-pressing is a process that does not involve heat or refinement with chemicals. This means the oil extracted is super-pure and retains all its natural nutrients.
IV. NATURAL DOES NOT ALWAYS MEAN PURE
Brands can claim their oil is ‘natural’ with lesser than 0.1% of natural ingredients in them. We don’t want that for our babies, do we? Try organic, or better still, certified organic – which brings us to the next point.
V. CERTIFICATIONS & TESTS
When it comes to our babies, safety is paramount. So, it’s always better to go with oils that have certifications (not just ‘recommendations’) from paediatricians and dermatologists.
And now, for the 7 BEST OILS FOR BABY MASSAGE!
1. COCONUT OIL
- Rich in Lauric Acid (a fatty acid that’s an immunity super-star and #!1 source of antimicrobial properties): Moiturises and protects baby skin
- Antioxidant, Antifungal & Antibacterial: Helps prevent and soothe infections and irritations
2. ALMOND OIL
- Rich in Vitamin E & Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Hydrates, moisturizes and helps repair dry skin
- Antioxidant & Anti-inflammatory: Helps protect against and soothe skin inflammations
3. SAFFLOWER OIL
- Non-comedogenic & Least Likely to Cause Reactions: Super-safe and does not clog pores
- Anti-inflammatory: Protects and locks in moisture, keeping your baby’s skin soothed, supple and soft
4. JOJOBA OIL
- Rich in Vitamin E & Ceramides (containing fatty acids): keeps your baby’s skin hydrated for long
- Antioxidant, Antibacterial & Least Likely to Cause Reactions: super-safe for your baby’s delicate and sensitive skin
5. ARGAN OIL
- Rich in Fatty Acids: Moisturizes and softens your baby’s skin
- Antioxidant & Anti-inflammatory: Helps heal skin infections and conditions like baby acne, rashes, eczema and psoriasis, and soothe your baby’s skin
6. SESAME OIL
- Low on the Comedogenic Scale: Moistures, hydrates and does not clog pores
- Antioxidant, Antimicrobial & Anti-inflammatory: Helps protect your baby’s skin
7. OLIVE OIL
- Rich in Vitamin E & Least Likely to Cause Reactions: super-safe moisturisation for your baby’s skin
- Antioxidant, anti-microbial: Protects your baby’s delicate skin
NOTE: It is recommended to NOT use Olive Oil on dry, irritated, as it may aggravate it further.
P.S. You know we have a collection of super-pure, super-safe oils for your baby as well as you! Check them out here: https://goodnessme.com/collections/baby-massage-oil